What Factors to Consider When Buying a Baby Mattress
- Look for a firm cot mattress – because babies are growing their tiny bodies require as much support as possible.
- Buy a mattress cover that fits the mattress, a mattress cover will help protect the mattress.
- Only consider a baby mattress that is eco-friendly and hasn’t been treated with toxic chemicals that may harm the baby.
- Does the mattress comply with SABS safety standards?
- What type of baby cot do you need the mattress for, many people opt for a camp cot which requires a different size foam mattress.
- Does the mattress have easy breathing holes for your baby?
- It makes sense to buy a quality cot especially if you intend using it for more than one baby, it’s fairly easy to replace the cot mattress as a foam mattress is affordable.
- Ideally, you don’t want to hand a mattress down to siblings as a typical cot mattress comes in for a fair amount of soiling and will need to be replaced unless you are in a position to steam-clean the mattress.
What Are Baby Mattresses Made From?
Spring or foam – a spring mattress typically will have a longer lifespan, so if you want to use the mattress for a few years then a spring mattress is a better option. Foam is more affordable and also makes for easier linen changes as it weighs less than a spring mattress. Most people generally use a foam mattress as they replace the cot mattress with a spring mattress as the baby grows up and progresses to a bed.
What Other Accessories Should You Buy With a Baby Mattress?
Typically you will want to think about the following items when buying a baby mattress:
- A Cot or a crib
- A mattress cover – important to protect the mattress.
- Bedding that fits the baby’s cot is another important purchase consideration, not only is this important for your baby’s comfort it also helps with the baby’s bedroom styling and theme.
- A baby changing station is an important item of furniture in any baby room. They typically come with storage for diapers and other accessories like creams and baby powder.
- A feeding chair is another nice feature for those night feeds.
- Storage units for the baby room are also a good investment – you will require storage for nappies, baby clothes and accessories. You should also not forget about storage for baby toys – your baby may be small but they come with a lot of accessories that require a fair amount of storage.
- If you plan on taking your baby with you on holidays then a camp cot is another essential item of baby furniture. Ideally, these need to be easy to set-up and take down and typically come standard with a carry bag.