Does this sound like an absurd question to you? The idea that a mattress can have any effect on your happiness must sound like something out of an imaginative novel, but in many ways, your mattress can have an effect on the day to day happiness and satisfaction that you will experience.
There are many of us out there who simply want to fall into bed at the end of the day but then have to compete with an uncomfortable mattress. Studies have been made to determine how certain things can have an effect on the happiness that you get to enjoy, and one of the biggest findings unveiled is that sleep and rest are tied to your happiness.
Sleep your way to happiness?
The key to happiness is often just getting enough sleep. We rush through our day to day life and this can often mean feeling burnt out at the end of the day, and being without enough sleep is one of the worst feelings when you are living a busy life. When you are not getting sleep, it makes the day feel longer and you are not likely to be very productive.
Can you believe that there are some people who think that being sleep deprived is okay? In fact for many an up and coming business person, being sleep deprived is like wearing a badge of honour. But there are those who are not sleep deprived out of choice but are rather sleep deprived due to a sleeping disorder, known as insomnia.
Regardless of the reason for your lack of sleep, not getting enough rest each night can be the recipe for disaster. Lack of sleep doesn’t just mean a tired body, but it also means a tired mind, sore limbs and sometimes it can even result in migraine attacks.
The effects of lack of sleep go beyond your happiness
On average those who get around 8 hours of sleep a night are almost 10% happier than those who only get 5 hours of sleep at night. Improving your sleep is important for more reasons than just your happiness. Those who get less sleep than they need are susceptible to the following:
- Having more accidents or be at risk of having more accidents than those who get enough sleep. Basically continuous loss of sleep, or not having quality sleep, can make you a public risk on the roads as well as in other areas where accidents can happen. In the USA fatigue has caused around 100 000 traffic accidents and over 1000 deaths which are the result of an accident. This problem mostly affects people under the age of 25.
- A loss of sleep can result in your intelligence lessening. Sleep and learning go hand in hand and that means the more sleep you lose, the more difficult it will become for you not only to learn and concentrate but also for you to retain the information that you are trying to remember.
- Sleep has an effect on your health. At night when you shut down, your brain is cleaning itself and draining away the day’s toxins, a result of all of the energy that it has taken to work throughout the day. Chronic sleep loss can also place you in the risk bracket for heart disease, high blood pressure, strokes, diabetes, irregular heartbeats, and even heart failure. In fact, research has shown that 90% of people who suffer from insomnia also suffer from another health condition.
- When you don’t get enough sleep, night after night, you are soon going to be suffering from a major blow to your sex drive. Both men and women have reported that when they are feeling tired, they have less of a sexual desire.
- Being constantly sleepy can be very depressing. Those who are constantly having to fight off the feelings of fatigue that are the result of continuous lack of sleep. Those who get around 6 hours sleep at night are more susceptible to depression and anxiety. If you are already susceptible to depression than having to contend with sleepless nights will only aggravate the symptoms of depression.
- Not getting enough sleep night after night can make you age faster and the effects will show on your skin. Constant tiredness will result in dark circles and fine lines, but, what’s more, is as you get older your sleep will be important for your bones and muscles as well.
The power of a mattress
The mattress that graces your bed has the power to make your sleep heavenly. Of course your lack of sleep might go beyond that of the comfort levels of the mattress you are sleeping on, you could be suffering from a chronic disorder. But the likely cause of many people’s sleepless nights is that the mattress they are sleeping on is wrong for their body type. In fact having the wrong mattress can sometimes result in insomnia. And sometimes the occasional bout of insomnia can lead to a chronic sleep disorder.
A mattress will truly have a big impact on your sleep. There is no denying the impact that the most important piece of furniture in your home will have for you. And for many of us, we have not equipped ourselves properly for our sleep needs.
Here are a few ways in which a mattress will have an effect on, not only your sleep but your life:
- The right mattress has the power to reduce stress
In a study done in the USA, participants spent a number of nights on one bed and then the next series of nights on a bed that has a proper firmness. The participants reported that sleeping on a proper mattress reduced their stress and reduced their symptoms of stress such as headaches and nervousness. The bed that is more appropriate for a person’s sleep needs showed a significant improvement in the quality of the sleep.
- No more tossing and turning
There is nothing worse than tossing and turning throughout the night. This in itself has the power to disrupt your sleep and it will cause you to be tired day after day. Trying without success to get comfortable on your mattress will keep you awake, but this should stop once you invest in the right mattress for your needs. If you find your sleep is interrupted by nightly discomfort, it is not insomnia that is your problem but rather the mattress that needs replacing.
- Eliminate allergies
Allergies can keep you awake. They are one of those things that can wake you up while you are resting peacefully and many people do not realise that the cause of their sleepless nights is resting comfortably on the mattress beneath them. The mattress can be home to numerous allergy causing dust, and other particles, so investing in an anti-allergic mattress can do wonders in turning around your sleepless nights.
Your sleep and your emotions
A lot of emphasis is placed on the importance of sleep for your body and your organs, but people tend to overlook the importance that sleep has over the emotions.
When we meet our grumpy colleague in the morning, we joke with them and ask them if they have woken up on the wrong side of the bed. Although we joke, the foundations of what we say lie in not getting enough shut-eye. The moment our sleep is under the amount that we need, we begin to feel irritable and often we end up snapping at those around us. Often this terrible mood is unfairly taken out on those we love and those we work with.
When this starts happening too often, it is time to start considering replacing the mattress.
The last thing you want is for your lack of sleep to affect your personal relationships. Sleep deprivation can make it very difficult to keep your emotions under control and studies have shown that a lack of sleep can make you very irrational. Researchers have seen that when a person is suffering from a lack of sleep, their emotions tend to revert back to the time when emotions could not be put into context.
Those who were sleep deprived would react in a much more emotionally responsive way when they were shown certain images. Basically, when you are sleep deprived you will always be on edge emotionally. This will disrupt your work, your personal life and how you interact with those around you.
When you have the right mattress to give you the right amount of sleep night after night you will find that not only will you have more energy to get through your day to day life but you will also have a positive emotional energy and a renewed happiness.
Sleep restores us emotionally each time we go to bed. By making sure that you have the right mattress that is both comfortable and supportive, you are benefitting your sleep health as well as your emotional wellbeing.
So does a great mattress have the power to make you happy? The answer is yes. A great mattress can restore your body and mind, improve your health and set your emotions at peace. Before you turn to pills to resolve your sleeplessness, have a look at the mattress you sleep on.