Buying a new baby cot? Which type of baby cot is best for my child? Wooden cot or Camping cot? This is a question that most new-to-be-parents face. My husband and I had to ask ourselves this very same question many years ago.
We made our decision based on our lifestyle and the safety of the cot. Once that decision was made, we could move onto choosing a style. With so many options out there, purchasing a cot can be overwhelming. I hope that I can shed some light on this big decision through this article.
Newborns and babies sleep for the most part of their daily lives. They need their sleep, and a lot of it, since so much growth takes place in the first year of their lives. For this reason, it is important to factor in that your baby will be spending more time in their cot than anywhere else. Therefore, the cot has to offer a safe and cuddly environment to your little one to thrive in.
Camping cot for on-the-go Parents
- Dinner parties away from home.
- Enjoys the outdoors.
- Travelling by car or aeroplane.
- Ideal for newborns; simply put the cot next to your bed and extend the base.
- Camping cots are generally cheaper than wooden cots.
- The mattress is included with the cot.
If you are on-the-go parents, you should opt for lighter options such as a camping cot or a portable travel crib. This provides a safe, familiar environment for your baby to sleep in when you’re not at home.
Wooden cot for Stay at Home Parents
- Mom and Dad mostly at home.
- Planning on having another baby.
Conversely, if you are planning on spending 99% of your evenings at home, a wooden cot would be the better option. Wooden cots are practical and durable. Investing in a good quality cot will ensure a place to sleep for any future babies to come. Some can even transform into a toddler bed when it’s time for your child to move onto a bigger bed.
Buying a Wooden Cot? Look out for the Following:
- Make sure the distance between the bars is small enough. Your baby’s head must not be able to fit through the bars.
- The locking mechanism provided for sliding down the rails should not be accessible for your baby. See to it that this mechanism is placed on the side.
- Purchase crib bumpers to prevent your newborn from bumping their head. These come in a variety of colours to match your baby room’s decor. Be sure that any crib bumpers you install are breathable. Crib bumpers have been known to cause Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) since some of them are too compact to breathe through.
- A sturdy cot is essential as a rattling cot will disturb the babies sleep. Additionally, as your baby grows older, they may start to rattle on the railing when they wake up. If the cot is already rattling, it most definitely won’t last through this phase!
- Make sure the cot has an adjustable base so that you would be able to adjust the base to a higher setting for your comfort. This adjustable base comes in handy with newborns. Furthermore, when your baby grows into a toddler, you can lower the base to prevent them from climbing out.
Before Purchasing a Mattress:
- The mattress should be supportive with a plush sleeping surface.
- Non-allergenic and anti-bacterial.
- Waterproof for sleeping comfort and protection.
- Well ventilated and breathable.
It is essential to look at mattresses when buying a cot. Your baby’s little growing body needs the perfect supportive mattress to aid them best in growing up. Sleeping on a poor mattress often leaves our bodies feeling sore and stiff the next day. Why would your baby be any different?
When purchasing a cot, the mattress isn’t always included. However, it may be a good idea to purchase your mattress from the same company that you’ve bought the cot. You don’t want an ill-fitting mattress in your brand new cot. However, if you’ve bought a standard size cot, then you’ve come to the right place! Not sure if your cot is standard sized? Whip out your measuring tape!
At The Mattress Warehouse, we believe in providing you with only the best. Our standard size Sealy Baby Cot Mattress comes in dimensions *
ℓ1300 x b660 x h10cm*. This hypo-allergenic, plush mattress will provide the best environment for your baby’s growing body to rest on. Furthermore, you can reap in the benefits of the PU film barrier, making the mattress waterproof.
Additionally, you may want to purchase a waterproof mattress protector. Think about it. Even if your mattress is waterproof, it is much easier to wash a waterproof protector. Imagine cleaning a whole mattress of pesky spills! To make things even more convenient, you can wash our Sealy Cot Mattress Protector at up to 95 degrees in the washing machine. This mattress protector can also go in the tumble drier, for times when you need it clean and dry ASAP.
When deciding on a baby cot and mattress, many things are taken into consideration. Provide your baby with great comfort and safety when it’s your turn to make this choice.